- 5-10 organic apples, cut with skins on
- filtered water to cover the apples
- Put apples and water in a bowl. Cover with a towel and let sit on the counter for 3 days.
- When bubbles start to appear on the rim of the water, the bacteria is starting to grow and those are the air bubbles from their breathing.
- Strain the water from the apples and put the water in a mason jar. You can discard the apples or use them in a different recipe.
- Cover the mason jar with a breathable lid. I used a coffee filter, but a cheesecloth or paper towel would work just as well.
- Let the jar sit on the counter or in a cabinet for a week.
- Then put the lid on and seal it tightly. Let it sit again for about 4 weeks or until it develops a vinegar-like smell.